Sunday, January 19, 2014

Raw Fig Newton Bars

 


As we eat more raw I am really loving the the desserts, they rock. Watching many YouTube videos I find that a lot of people are agreeing with me, well they have been doing this longer so I guess I agree with them. 

Jason Wrobel is one of those people no matter what he is making he keeps it entertaining. His show How to live to 100 on the cooking channel is awesome to watch, they need more shows on and about vegan/raw cooking and preparation. That's where I stole this recipe from his YouTube channel. 

Now I did not follow his recipe to the letter because of what I had on hand. 
His recipe called for 1 1/2 cups of hazel nuts I used 1 cup almonds 1/4 cup Brazil nuts 1/4 hazel nuts. I left out the Sun Warrior protein blend only because I forgot it. I only have been using maple syrup as my liquid sweetener in all my cooking/ preparation, he uses a bee free honey. 

The Bar Part 

1 cup almonds

1/4 brazil nut

1/4  hazel nuts

3/4 flax seeds ( ground up in a spice/coffe grinder)

3/4 cup oats

1 tsp vanilla 

1 tsp cinnamon 

1/2 tsp Himalayan salt

6 tbsp maple syrup

In a food processor place the nuts, ground flax meal, the oats, cinnamon, salt and pulse till the all rough chopped. Pour the vanilla and turn on the processor while it's running add the maple syrup slowly. When it's done it will ball up in you processor. Scoop out onto a piece of parchment paper and set you dirty processor aside you will need it again. 
Smush down the dough mixture till it's kinda flat, place another piece of parchment paper on top and roll out till flat. Then trim the edges to make it square. Cut in half and set aside. 




























The Filling 

3 cups dried figs ( stems removed)

1/2 to 3/4 cup water as needed to make a spreadable texture. 

There is always a little stem part make sure you remove it. Now this recipe makes a lot of filling which the extra can be store in the fridge for a couple of weeks. Place the figs in your food processor add the water slowly to get the spreadable texture that you desire.








The Asslembling 

Spread your desired amount of filling on one half the crust, leaving a half inch around the edges. Place the other half on top press down gently. Cut into 2x2 squares, eat and enjoy. 










Have Fun and Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment