Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Vegan Homemade Mac-N-Cheese



After eating the best Mac-n-cheese while on vacation at the Pomegranate Cafe out in Phoenix Az. I have been trying to remake this recipe I I think I got it. My whole life I have loved mac-n-cheese even back in the day we my grandma would make it with government cheese it was always awesome. Now that I have gone the vegan route I was missing the creamy goodness I have made some raw versions but nothing was hitting home.

The Macaroni 

1- 16 oz box of whatever brand elbow pasta cooked al-denti drained and set aside. 

The Cheese Sauce 

1/4 cup vegan butter (earth balance)

3 tbsp all purpose flour

3 cups almond milk or vegan milk of choice

2 cups vegan cheese ( Daiya is the only brand I use)

1 tbsp black pepper 

1 1/2 tsp chiplote pepper powder

And pinch of turmeric 

Start by melting the butter add the flour and mix till it makes a brownish colored paste this is a roux. Add the milk and stir constantly once the roux and milk are well combined turn down to a low heat add the cheese keep stirring so it don't clump up add your spices and once all the cheese has melted you should have a nice thick cheesey sauce add your pasta and mix well. 

Now hot dogs and mac-n-cheese are great together so fry up some Field Roast Frankfurters and now you got a supper anyone would love to have.  















No comments:

Post a Comment