Sunday, September 8, 2013

Franks And Beans Vegan Style



After a long week I am always looking  forward to the weekend and its finally here. Franks and Beans has always been a fave of mine ever since I can remember and thanks to the people over at Field Roast I can still enjoy this classic in a vegan version. Now I am no paid spoke person but I will say I know my hot-dogs before I was vegan I planned a whole west coast family vacation around going to Portland Oregon just for me to eat some hot dogs, these Field Roast Frankfurters are with out a doubt the best vegan dog you can buy. The taste and texture is comparable to a high quality all beef frank it is that good and you don't get a belly ache after eating them. Now this dish is a staple at any family function its very simple cheap and real quick to throw together. I found that the cannellini bean is the best bean to use for this recipe it has the a perfect taste and it holds up during the baking.

For the recipe this is what you need

1 batch of my BBQ sauce found here

1 batch of hot-dog buns found here (They are just like my hamburger buns only shaped different)

3 cans of cannellini beans

3  Field Roast Frankfurters sliced into 1/4 inch slices (I go with one frank pre can of beans)

1 large onion diced

For the beans just open can and drain and rinse very well I love the 365 organic brand from Whole Foods cause they are not packed with any of the bad stuff. In a pot that has an oven safe rating mix together the BBQ sauce, beans and half the chopped onion. Cover and bake for 15 min at 350 degrees pull out and stir bake for 15 more min then you are ready for some franks and beans. But wait what goes great with frank and beans well a hot-dog does silly.






Make sure you remove the plastic casting.






To pan fry these dogs to perfection is and art form (not really) to get the perfect amount of char on the outside. Heat up 1 tbsp of oil on a med to high heat unwrap the the franks and place them in the skillet, once the brown up pour a bit of water to steam them up and turn over to repeat till is perfectly cooked. Now the best topping combo for these franks for the meal is straight yellow mustard and chopped onion in a fresh made bun wow.










Have fun and Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment