Saturday, October 26, 2013

Vegan Chili with Jalapeño Cornbread




Here is the low down on chili it is almost as unique as your fingerprint, yours is yours.  Most will tell that theirs is some old family recipe handed down from years past, but I am here to tell you that mine is STOLEN. Stolen from all the awesome chili's that I have eaten through the years that I have combined into my own recipe. The only thing that has changed from my non-vegan days is that I swapped the meat for TVP.  Bob's Red Mill TVP is out of this world good, once it is re-hydrated it is just like having ground meat in your dish with out all the nasty stuff. It is only ingredient is "defatted soy flour" what ever that is I give a thumbs up and you will to.

Now for some reason I can't make a small batch of chili I love to freeze it and have it for a rainy or snowy day. Now I would love to have all fresh organic veggies for this recipe but I live in north western PA and its late October so unless I want to remortgage the house I will have to go with the canned tomatoes which I will only buy organic ones.
There are many chili spice packs out there on the store shelves but most of them are not vegan they contain milk products for some reason, but I make my own.


Chili Spice

1 cup chili powder
  
1/2 cup paprika

2 tbsp garlic powder

2 tsp onion powder

2 tsp black pepper

1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes ( or more for more spicey)

1 tsp sea salt

1 tsp  ground cumin

Mix all together and store in an air tight container and use on everything.




Since I make such a large batch I will cut this recipe down for you.

Chili

cans diced tomatoes

3 cans fire roasted tomatoes

1 can black beans

2 cans red kidney beans

1 can red beans

1 can chick peas

1 large onion chopped

1 large green pepper chopped

2 cloves minced garlic

2-3 tbsp of the chili spice

2 tbsp of straight chili powder

1 cup Bob's Red Mill TVP (dry)

salt and pepper to taste

Mix all the ingredients in order as I have them listed, adjusting the spices if you think you need more than add more but I think that you will find that it is close to perfection. Over very low heat bring the chili up to temp this could take to time try not to let the chili boil cause it will make the taste seem bitter. Low and slow (that is the tempo).

















While that is coming a long its time to make the jalapeno cornbread which is gonna rock your world.
Cornbread and chili are like Batman and Robin both are awesome alone but together they are dynamite. Jalapeno  goes so well with the whole meal brings it all together. This cornbread is so good that it will make your grandma come home.

Jalapeno Cornbread

1 cup cornmeal

1 cup allpuprose flour

5 tsp baking powder

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 tsp sea salt

1/4 cup chopped jalapeno

2 egg replacers Bob's Red Mill

3/4 cup almond milk

1/4 cup of the jalapeno juice

1/2 cup earth balance butter

Now this recipe you really need a large cast iron skillet but if you don't have one than a 9x9 baking pan will still work just fine. Fresh jalapenos are awesome but for this recipe you really want a jar of pickled ones from the store cause of the juice also. Pre-heat the oven to 350 and place the skillet/pan in the oven while pre-heating.  Mix all the dry ingredients including the jalapenos then make a well and add the wet ingredeints mix till combined but don't over mix. Pull the hot skillet/pan from the oven place the butter in and put them back in the oven till butter is melted. Once the butter is melted swish it around the pan then pull the butter into the batter, then pour the batter back into the hot skillet/pan. Bake for 30-35 min, test with a tooth pick once you see the edges brown up you will  know its done. Let stand for 5 min then serve it up.

























Have Fun and Enjoy.


1 comment: