Monday, June 24, 2013

Vegan Zucchini Lasagna Rolls with a Cashew Ricotta



Well after an outrageously beautiful weekend we are back to the daily grind till next weekend. I wanted to start the week of right with some lasagna vegan style of course. The cashew ricotta idea came from the wife having just got some nuts to make our milk so I looked up a recipe and found this one here. I followed almost to the letter with just a couple tweaks to make it more my own. Now I know that this is not a raw recipe cause of the jarred sauce, but I will serving them cold so close enough for me. This I how I did this recipe:

Cashew Ricotta 

1 1/2 cups raw organic cashews (Soaked in water at least 4 hours make sure there is enough water cause they will swell up.)

1/2 cup water

2 tbsp lemon juice 

2 tbsp nutritional yeast

1 clove minced garlic 

1/2 tsp onion powder 

1 tsp sea salt (or to taste)

1 tsp black pepper 

After you have soaked your nuts (heeeeeeeeheeeeeeeheheee) drain them and give a quick rinse and then toss them in the food processor  along with all the ingredients and mix till smooth scraping down the side so nothing gets left behind. You can use right away or store in the fridge I recommend letting it rest to let the flavors come together.


Make there is enough water to cover by an inch.



!/2 cup water

Nutritional yeast.

Garlic.



It is unreal that this is made from nuts, its so good.


The sausage component will be played by Upton's Italian Seitan. This stuff is so good all you got to do is pull it out of the package chop it a little finer and add about a 1/2 a cup of sauce and then you good to go.


Try not eat it all before it goes in the meal.

Give a quick mix.
Since the price of organic tomatoes is still out of my price range I went with the next best thing organic jarred sauce its not as good as mine but I am not paying 4 dollars a pound for tomatoes.



The zucchini is very easy just wash it really good cause I leave the skin and with your veggie peeler of choice. I decided to use my mandolin slicer now be very careful since the guard is off I sliced mine on number 2, set them aside till its time to start rolling the rolls. Just be very careful.





So let us being the rolling process

Lasagna Rolls

1-2 cup cashew ricotta

1 package of the Upton's Naturals Italian Seitan

1 jar sauce of your choice

2-3 zucchini sliced thinly

and some toothpicks to hold them together

Now this is very  simple to do lay out 1 piece of zucchini spread some cashew cheese first then the seitan and sauce mixture. The ricotta will hold the seitan in place while you roll. Don't over load the piece of zucchini as the filling will just fall out, less is more here.  Roll them and stab them down through the top with a toothpick and lay on its side and push the toothpick all the way through. repeat till you are out of product cause you will eat them all. Now I put the sauce on the bottom to be fancy but plat them how ever you want and eat-em up.





I just used the tray as a staging place no cooking here.



Have fun and Enjoy.

    


No comments:

Post a Comment